Brandon can’t wait to get home from work and spend time with his little boy…
I have decided to take part in “Wedded Wednesdays”, which was started on my friend Leah’s blog. Each Wednesday, I will be posting my thoughts on marriage, as well as other stories, etc. that I find inspirational.
One thing that I always knew, was that Brandon had a very traditional role of marriage. To put it frankly, the man was the breadwinner, the woman stayed home with the children, and dinner was always on the table at 6pm. Well, at least, that is what I expected his view to be. After we got married, I had one semester of college left (that included a night class) and I always felt bad getting home late and him having to “fend for himself”. Looking back, I wish I could have told myself back then to get over it! Brandon was more than capable- we both lived separately until we were married. But as the wife, I always felt somewhat guilty that I wasn’t providing for my husband in this way.
Fast forward to 4 weeks ago. After a surprise C-section, I really needed to rely on Brandon for basic things, like helping me get in and out of the shower once we were home, going to run errands, and keeping up on the laundry. Mind you, he was still working crazy hours, and I just felt bad NOT being able to take care of him. One night, I finally lost it. I told him how it just didn’t seem fair, that I was laying around most of the day and he was doing all of the work. He looked me straight in the eye and said “Honey, you have no idea what you have just been through. Seeing you go through that to get Brayden here was the scariest thing I have ever seen. You let me take care of you so you can take care of him.” It is amazing how quickly your roles in marriage change when there is a baby involved. Even after childbirth, I was feeling guilty, and needed that bounce back to reality to realize where my role really is now. It is mother first, and wife second. It’s a tough adjustment, but it’s been pretty smooth because Brandon has been there to step in every time I have needed him. I am incredibly blessed!
So, my mom and I were chatting today about my little brother starting college today, and my sister starting massage therapy school. (My brother moved an hour away and has an apartment, and my sister will commute from home.) Anyway, my mom said “It is so weird without your brother here.” At first, I was like oh boy, here we go…sappy almost empty-nester speech. But then she goes on to say “It’s weird because this is the first time in 20 years that I don’t have to make sure someone is up for school, to make sure they have a lunch or lunch money in their account, or write out checks for athletics.” I asked her if it was a relief, and she said definitely!
Then I got to thinking…this is the first time in 20 years that I haven’t had to go back to school, as a student OR teacher. I don’t have to worry about lunch money, athletics, or being somewhere at a certain time. It really is nice, but it sure is weird that my mom and I would have that in common.
I would like to say I was busy this week, but in all actuality, I wasn’t. Here are the highlights:
- Taking the time to get a haircut! I feel like a new person, and thankfully my sister was along with me. We had to wait out a pretty heavy storm in the parking lot, which was fine, because I had to feed Brayden anyway!
- My 24th birthday was yesterday. I got a new pair of running shoes from my brother and sister for when I get cleared to start working out again. I am down 30 pounds so far, and can’t wait to get back on the elliptical. I also got some cash from my parents, to only be spent on myself! Brayden got me a GAP gift card for some new fall clothes, and a really cute card. It was very sweet, and made me cry!
- My mom, stepmother-in-law, sister, and I did a garage sale this morning-with very little success. SO the rest of the stuff will be going on another garage sale with all proceeds going to Relay for Life. Works for me!
- My sister is coming over tonight to stay the night and we are having movie night! I can’t wait!
- Brayden is on a really great schedule, and sleeps 5-6 hours at night! The night of my birthday, he slept for 7 hours. It was wonderful!
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I am off to puruse gap.com for some inspiration for my fall purchases…
What a weekend! Saturday, Brayden got his first shopping experience at Sam’s Club. I used the infant sling that I received as a shower gift…
I really love it! My sister was a little cautious with it because she said that it looked like he was going to fall out. (He most definitely was not about to fall out of it, trust me.) It was nice to have my hands free, and he slept the whole time! I don’t think anyone even noticed.
This morning, I got out Brayden’s aquarium playmat for him to lay on. He is becoming much more alert in the mornings, which I love!
Yesterday after Brayden’s doctor appointment, we went to see my friend Laura and her little boy, Caden. Caden was born 10 days before Brayden, so Laura and I got to share in all of the joys of pregnancy together. She borrowed her sister-in-law’s camera and did a photo shoot for us.
We tried to get the boys to take a picture together, but they weren’t having it….